Lancia Beta Forum
September 21, 2024, 05:33:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1981 "Zagato" Shocks?  (Read 115 times)
alsgro33

United States United States

« on: September 16, 2024, 10:44:32 PM »

Hello from Southern California. Fairly new here and working on an '81 that I pulled out of a backyard in April. It sat in a garage most of its life and was last registered in 1997.

Anyway, after pulling the tank and having it acid dipped, etc, replacing fuel lines plus all 4 injectors refurbished, plus a bunch of other odds and ends, I FINALLY got to drive it around our parking lot over the weekend, and there are NO shocks, just bounces around like a donkey cart on the springs.

Anyway, I've been looking through the many shock/strut related posts, and I understand that they're hard to find... That there are inserts and some things I can do to possibly convert my current setup? I'm just wondering if someone can break it down for me. I'd like to buy inserts and try to make them work, but I figure the '81 won't take them? I had a look at Mark's store, but not quite sure what avenue I need to take.

Any direction greatly appreciated.

- Al
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2024, 08:25:09 AM »

An 81 car will have sealed units as I think you have worked out. As these are pretty much no longer available the usual solution is to buy a conversion kit. The top of the strut is cut off and a new collar welded in place to accept an insert. Quite a skilled task.

Having said that, it looks like Betaboyz parts currently have a few rear sealed units in stock but circa £400, so not cheap.

Hope this helps.

stableblock

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2024, 08:25:58 AM »

Hello
I dont have direct experience of Zagato/spider but I have fitted inserts to a coupe.  Its quite straightforward, you dismantle the strut, throw away the old pushrod and valve and replace with the insert.  Mine came with new securing [nuts] but I think some use the old retainers.  Put a little oil in the strut before inserting the insert to help heat dissipation.

These days there are oil and gas versions.  Marks shop lists replacement rear struts for the spider so that might be an easier option if a little more costly.
alsgro33

United States United States

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2024, 09:01:28 PM »

Like to thank you both for you replies. I think I'm going to try and figure out the insert option, and I wonder if Mark's kit comes with instructions on the mods necessary?
Nigel

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2024, 10:26:06 PM »

Like to thank you both for you replies. I think I'm going to try and figure out the insert option, and I wonder if Mark's kit comes with instructions on the mods necessary?

The kit from Mark does come with instructions.
I used the weld-on collars/strut inserts on the front of my HPE.
Measure 10 times, cut once!

Good luck
Nigel

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: