Lancia Beta Forum
September 21, 2024, 06:56:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VX front discs  (Read 374 times)
lancialulu

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: August 14, 2024, 02:46:11 PM »

For some reason VX models (coupe and HPE) have larger (?) discs and different part number calipers. But the swept area does not go to the edge of the front disc on my car. Leave c 7 mm of unused brake disc on edge.

251mm for front disc.

Is this normal or have the calipers been changed??

Ideas please

rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2024, 04:28:52 PM »

They aren't any different to normal beta discs, 251 at front I think? Calipers also the same, super duplex so two brake lines to each from caliper if it's like that if guess the caliper is correct as it's a weird set up. Pads could be incorrect 7 mm sounds a lot.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 04:43:16 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
WurldBeta

Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2024, 09:13:58 PM »

Yes RossoCorsa is right. I understand that the entire range of FWD betas used the same Bendix DBA calipers (using dual hose set up at fronts, each side split from the master cylinder to ensure equal braking at front upon one circuit failure.), clamping single (non vented) 251mm disc diameter all round but with different hub heights and rotor thicknesses differentiating front and rears. They are pretty effective when well set up in standard or mild states of engine power tune. Eric Weston has high performance setups on his Spyder using a more conventional setup and Hi Spec calipers, I think.     
lancialulu

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2024, 11:21:01 AM »

They aren't any different to normal beta discs, 251 at front I think? Calipers also the same, super duplex so two brake lines to each from caliper if it's like that if guess the caliper is correct as it's a weird set up. Pads could be incorrect 7 mm sounds a lot.

Thanks for confirming as this is what I had thought but given the VX models have different part numbers for discs and callipers it occurred to me that some parts were going to be dimensionally different. Do the caliper bore sizes differ?? I am sure the pads are correct but will dig a bit deeper.
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2024, 02:12:43 PM »

I agree with the others here that the standard discs are the same including the VX. You are probably seeing a later part number change which happens frequently.

My setup is far too extreme for sane people, but I am installing 260BHP. Briefly I am using 282 x 22 vented front discs (Integrale) with Hi Spec 6 piston calipers at the front with an Integrale MC and fresh X split piping with a Group N 2 channel rear bias valve. This was all modeled in a brake dynamics calculator before being built. It is plumbed and working but the car is not yet finished.

Standard Beta Brakes with linkage play removed braided lines and good quality discs and pads are good and more than enough for most folk.

Eric
PS see members cars for pictures   
JohnFol

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2024, 03:14:01 PM »

Eric, how do you remove "linkage play"?
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2024, 09:42:07 PM »

Thanks for confirming as this is what I had thought but given the VX models have different part numbers for discs and callipers it occurred to me that some parts were going to be dimensionally different. Do the caliper bore sizes differ?? I am sure the pads are correct but will dig a bit deeper.
The pistons are definitely the same size as my calipers have been apart and the front pistons renewed. I've had experience of after market brake pads for some Lancias varying in the surface dimensions, I'd check that.
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2024, 07:21:08 AM »

Hi John,

The pedal has a ball joint with adjustment i.e. remove split pin clean re-grease re-set. Also the cross link to the servo has a central adjustable bar with left and right threads. This can also take out the slop. Note there must be a small amount of play, but most Betas have a lot. This cross link also flexes adding play I have changed mine for stronger tube with left and right end threads etc.

Eric 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: