Lancia Beta Forum
September 16, 2024, 08:18:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
  Print  
Author Topic: Early HPE restoration  (Read 26126 times)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #300 on: September 05, 2024, 02:02:18 PM »

Visited John the body guy today. The main body and rear hatch metalwork is done. There are minor repairs to the two doors and one wing to be done. The bonnet was the main reason for the visit.

After having the doors, rear hatch, wings and bonnet dipped, the only surprise for John was the bonnet. It has corrosion in the front two corners, mainly on the underside. So the decision was use it or have the Coupe (later style) bonnet dipped and use that. The Coupe bonnet looks to have been drowned in protective underseal, but you never know until it is removed. On looking at the corrosion on the original bonnet we decided it was non structural and just cosmetic. The other issue was not wanting to apply heat to the bonnet, so the plan is to tidy up the small areas using metal filler/fibreglass.

After this we are onto filler work. Looking like I shall get the car back towards end of year now.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 09:51:10 PM by peteracs » Logged

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #301 on: September 05, 2024, 06:17:31 PM »

Hi Peter

Bonnets definitely hide surprises. My Beta Spyder VX item was remade from 2 dipped bonnets and I have 3 here to get dipped to see if I can create a viable spare. I am trying hard to have 1 sound spare of each bolt on body part and the bonnet is the last item on the list.

Eric   
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #302 on: September 05, 2024, 09:53:26 PM »

The bit I find odd about the original car is that the main body was so bad, yet the wings, doors and bonnet are nowhere near as bad as the main body, yet they are normally the parts that suffer at least as much. I suspect the wings may have been replaced, less likely the bonnet and doors.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #303 on: September 07, 2024, 10:06:02 PM »

Spent a good part of the day putting back the heater box after previously completely stripping and cleaning it. I replaced the age old foam, went over the plastics and rubber parts with vinyl restorer and applied a protective spray to the rods and metal brackets. I did contemplate getting them re-plated, but only a few parts and I wanted to get it back together now. The only issue with it is the valve which was totally seized, so will get a new one in due course. Just a few rods to now put on it and it can go away ready for the car to arrive.

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
SanRemo78

« Reply #304 on: September 08, 2024, 08:30:59 AM »

I'll check the two heater boxes I have here Peter and drop one in the post to you if you need it? Unless you plan on replacing it with a new one, probably a route I'll be going.
Guy

Hawk HF3000 - Square Arch Stratos Replica - owned since 1988.
Alfa Romeo 159 T1 2.4 Q4 Sportwagon - Believed one of 4 in UK.
Fiat Panda 100HP and now!
A Lancia Beta Coupe 1981 2 Litre
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #305 on: September 08, 2024, 10:23:15 PM »

Hi Guy

I have messaged you, but I am happy to give a used one a go if in decent condition.

Thanks

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
  Print  

Jump to: