Lancia Beta Forum
September 21, 2024, 06:45:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacement Engine project  (Read 13323 times)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2024, 05:33:10 PM »

Ok, I offered up the sump pan I was aiming to use onto a 2l block with 2l oil pump installed and yes it does not fit, ie it must be 1600 one, so went to my ‘storage facility’ for various oily parts probably not required, ie next to shed under plastic sheeting and recovered two sump pans. Both were 2l and yes they are approx 1cm or so deeper to cope with the additional pump height.

I think I will continue modding the 1600 and add it to the Spider as it is very noticeable that the oil pressure dips on cornering which has meant my spirited driving has had to be tempered to suit the engine, hopefully this baffled sump will restored some chuckability to the car without worrying every time…… the sump on the 1600 has to come off as there is a weeping of oil around part of the gasket.

I have picked the better of the two 2l ones and started cleaning, not my favourite job as as much oily muck on the outside as in.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2024, 06:55:02 PM »

Back to the crank after having it sitting around for many weeks. GC recommends putting a teardrop relief into the main journal oil feeds to the con rod journals (see his book for details). I did this with some trepidation and thankfully largely succeeded using a small oval shaped burr. Not the easiest job and I still have to make sure that there are no rough edges to wreck the bearings! GC recommended final polishing with Scotch-brite pads and oil. He used the grey ultra fine which I did not have, so ordered a couple and will post some photos with the finished job, hopefully looking all pristine.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2024, 04:45:31 PM »

Hi

A bit more work to do on the crank, so not yet finished, mainly cleaning before I put the new bungs in.

The other job that I have been on with for months, spending a bit of time on it every so often is tidying up the head and replacing the valve guides. The only other head I have modified was my old Mini head in the 70s, which went quite well given all I had was a couple of books by a guy called Clive Trickey (still have them). I had knocked out the old valve guides  and gleaning info from GC’s book, I set about tidying up the inlet and exhaust ports. The VX head has good sized ports already, so minimal amounts of metal needed removing is my understanding. After this a clean up of the chambers best I could without again removing much metal.

Then onto the valve guides. I sourced these bronze ones from AE Car (https://www.aecar.co.uk/) who also have various parts for the engine, bearings and head bolts etc. I discussed fitting of the guides with Jon at Stanwood and he gave me some useful pointers. First up was measuring the protrusion of the guide top from the head using a n other head. Having done this a suitable set of washers were found to give the correct amount. Also a set of washers were sorted to pack out the section on the guide where the valve stem seal fits. This was to avoid putting pressure on and hence damage to the that portion of the guide and to just put pressure on the shoulder below where the seal sits. Finally the same punch which I used to remove the old guides was to be used.

The next job was to make sure the holes where the guide fits was not too small for the new guides and hence cause the head to split when inserting it. Jon suggested approx 1 to 1.5 thou smaller than the guide diameter. I had bought a set of small diameter hole gauges which arrived damaged, but decided to go for a slightly more expensive and comprehensive set to hopefully get the holes as needed. All the holes were on the slightly small size thankfully and I used a small diameter flap wheel on a drill which was the perfect size for the 14mm hole to ‘hone’ out the hole to the size needed. After some cleaning to get rid of the dust etc, it was now time to see if I had got it correct.

It is interesting GC preferred installing the guides at room temp for both guide and head, just using lubrication, others suggest heating head or freezing guides. I decided the GC method sounded sensible and I proceeded with the first one with great trepidation…… I should not have worried as all went in ok, a couple were a little more tight than the others, but all went in ok. I used a hammer in preference to using the press as lining up the guides in the press would have been a pain and the amount of hammering was not excessive, unlike the original removal…..

So happy days, I now need to get a volume reading from the chambers as a start of working out the requirement to achieve the around 10.5:1 CR.

Peter

* A8C45309-FC62-4D0C-8F16-5299FF445367.jpeg (131.25 KB, 640x480 - viewed 272 times.)

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2024, 10:04:41 PM »

Hi Peter

Impressive work and more than I have ever attempted as I paid GC for this.

Eric
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2024, 02:48:32 PM »

Jon at Stanwood has finally bored, honed and faced the block. A fair old wait to get this done, but at least now I can look to get it mounted on the stand and start dry building to see how it all fits together. Still have a bunch of things to be machined/balanced, but at least I can get on with some of the jobs I am down to do.

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2024, 05:44:01 PM »

Hi

Long time since I posted and in reality not much has happened until recently.

So, managed to mount the block on the engine stand using the standard mounting hardware and using the rear screw holes so I can access both ends of the block.

The other job I have done is to sort out a decent set of cam boxes and exhaust cam, I have a brand new GC3A inlet. The cam boxes, cam and assorted bits have been cleaned in the parts washer which was a long winded job as one cam box was particularly oily on the outside, never mind the inside. The cam box covers were also cleaned and have been etch primed and painted (on top not inside…!).

Next job was port matching the inlet manifold to the head which turned out to be quite an enjoyable one. Just used a battery drill, rotary burrs and slowly removed what I needed. Just need to give it a final polish with flappy wheel.

Peter

* IMG_1514.jpeg (112.74 KB, 480x640 - viewed 153 times.)

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2024, 01:47:18 PM »

I spent some time over the last few days cleaning the 2l sump I selected to use. Then proceeded to remove the existing baffling in readiness for the baffle kit I bought from Mark. This involves a bunch of spot welds. I tried using a spot well drill, chisel and a grinder with a flappy wheel. The most effective and causes less damage was the grinder which worked really well after as much excess metal has been cut away as possible. I do have one or two repairs to the old spot welds using a welder, then will be ready to weld in the baffle kit.

* DA2D6654-A74F-4842-880D-5ED780AA3302.jpeg (140.44 KB, 640x480 - viewed 127 times.)

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2024, 06:12:36 PM »

Hi Peter

It will last a lot longer with this oil control. The OE sump is hopeless and strange that they built the Monte with a baffled sump but not the Beta.

Eric
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2024, 10:19:51 PM »

This is very much a whilst I am in their item, but seems to be as Eric says, well worth doing long term.

I finally ordered the crank bearings and head bolts from Mark the other day which arrived yesterday. The rod bolts need a Ribe socket, so will have to buy a set. I have wanted to see what clearance there is on the crank/block, so out with the Plastigauge and was happy to see that there was 2 thou on all the mains.

I also bought a set of conrod bearings which are for 16V delta, as the rods were listed as 16V items from Maxpeeding. Hopefully they should be correct and should arrive this week.

Last bit of purchasing is a pair of K&N dcnf air filters, second hand off Ebay. K&N do not now sell a dcnf filter, so when I saw these, I tools the plunge. I think they will need a little bit of modifying as the gap between the two pairs of throttle bodies is possibly smaller than the width of the two filters, but nothing a hammer and patience cannot sort out hopefully…….

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2024, 07:28:23 PM »

Hi

Conrod bearings arrived today and appear to fit perfectly in the rod.

I will get around to checking the clearance, but on a quick offering up to the crank they look to be a good fit as well, so happy so far.

Once happy with the bearings I will get on with attaching a piston and see what the height difference is between the block and the top of the pistons.

A quick calculation of the compression ratio appears to put me in the 10.5:1 area which is pretty much where I wanted to be.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 07:30:30 PM by peteracs » Logged

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2024, 10:55:06 PM »

I took one of the rods and piston today and fitted it to the crank which was at tdc. The good news was that the big end bearing clearance was 2 thou based on plastgauge. Also the piston sits nicely at the top of the bore and does not need any machining to reduce it based on deck height. I may however need some additional clearance after fitting the head and checking the valve pockets.

Also had the K&N air filters arrive and they will do nicely once they have been tweaked as they are slightly too wide to fit to two dcnf style throttle bodies, ie the throttle bodies on the manifold are a cm or so too wide.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2024, 12:07:45 PM »

Peter,

For the CR what compressed thickiness are you assuming for the head gasket? Indeed what gasket will you use?

I remember asking Guy Croft what the thickness of one of his Astadur type gaskets was and he replied 'Haven't a clue' which wasn't especially helpful!
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2024, 10:21:01 PM »

Hi Stuart

I am going for a MLS gasket, according to Darren, who supplies them, they are available I. Varying thicknesses, so when I have the final values after the head skim etc, I can then decide which is best.

I am using the CR calculator at Summit Racing which makes it simple to get a value and to vary the parameters.

See

https://www.summitracing.com/newsandevents/calcsandtools/compression-calculator

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2024, 08:15:13 AM »

Hi Peter

I love the compression calculator link. Note MLS gasket compressed thickness will be close to a vernier slide tight on the gasket. I commissioned the design of these Cometic MLS Gaskets and was deeply involved. Note Delta MLS gaskets have the coolant flow control ports reversed.

Eric 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: